Thursday, June 05, 2008

lousay morning

My tuition ad went in the papers today. It looks like any other, cos 3 lines of text doesn't exactly allow you to express yourself very well. It cost me $35! Yeowch.

So I got a shitload of calls from 11am onwards. I guess 'very negotiable' works.

90% of them were in the West. Right at the very end of the EW Line. It'd take me over a good hour to just get to the right station. People would ask where I stayed, and say it wouldn't make practical sense for the both of us.

There was this one call though. I put down the phone in her face and went back to sleep. Note : I am quite desperate for tuition jobs.

She got all the details, my rates, subjects I teach, number of hours a week and her final question was.... "Are you Chinese or Malay?"

I was a bit stunned. "Indian." I said. And damn fucking proud of it, mind you. I am brown and beautiful.

She tells me to hold on, while she asks her little racist asswipe of a son in Chinese. I can't relay exactly what she said, but it was pretty obvious she was asking him if it was okay if she hired an Indian tutor. I could almost clearly hear their exchange.

"EEYER PU YAO PU YAO WO PU YAO chingchingcheong something else"

There's a 2 second silence, and on my end the expression on my face would've made a Kodak moment.

She comes back on the line and tells me she'll call me back. I nearly retorted but I just hung up.

Dear god I can't wait to leave this country.

No comments: