Saturday, January 03, 2009

2009 is looking pretty darn good already

Yes, resolutions and whatnot. But before that.... I just couldn't bring myself to blog before my practical driving test. I woke up, Friday morning at 5.45am (ugh) dragged myself into the shower, ate maybe a handful of cereal (no appetite), and my dad dropped me off at Eunos MRT at 6.45am.

I decided to dress decently, even though I was very tempted to go with the short skirt idea - you start with -15 demerit points (joke). Just wouldn't feel right if I didn't pass based on my own skillz.

The warm up lessons was hella useful, got me properly familiarized with the circuit right before the test. I was freaking out slightly from worrying about bus lanes on the roads.

So 8.25am came, and I waited in a room with about 16 other people to be called by various testers. Some people got called quite rudely, some people not so. I was the 4th person to leave the room and I really gotta thank the stars I got the nicest tester ever. He reassured me, told me I could ask him any questions with regards to directions etc.

Everything went perfect at first in the circuit. I checked blindspots every 2 seconds so there was no reason to fault me for it. I had gone through everything without a single mistake, till I got to reverse parking. For some stupidddd reason, I turned into the lot too late and the wheel grazed the kerb. I thought at that moment it was all over, cos I had heard so many horror stories of immediate failures and 10points for striking kerbs.

Again, he told me to relax and just correct it, so I did. We left the circuit without doing the E-brake, and so far my only mistake I thought had costed me 10points, so I couldn't afford to make any more mistakes.

The test route was short and sweet, and very simple. No U-turn, didn't take me to the main roads so bus lanes weren't an issue. On the way back the car stalled once, which costs 2 points I think, but I recovered quickly and moved off, only to right-turn into the wrong lane. So more demerit points and I thought I was done for.

Turned back into the centre, walked up to the office having mixed feelings. He passed me the paper which had the word PASSED on it. I was mad happy, he faulted me for only 3 things - strike kerb, additional maneouvre to correct it, and turning into the wrong lane at a junction.

Total 10 points. PASS PASS PASS!!! Yay! I no longer am bitter about not having signed up earlier. Felt completely at ease afterwards. Rented Hot Fuzz and watched it at Raushan's while having lunch. Went home and took a nap.

Pa was completely okay with me taking the car out that night itself. I was all ready to go pick up a couple of friends when Ma stopped me as I was leaving and said no. Not until someone has been with me while driving, and I should be driving in the day and not at night. I really wanted to stab her at that point.

But I didn't. In the end I drove to Downtown East with Aresha to watch Bedtime Stories, then to Tampines to pick up Raushan, then to Changi Village for tea and rojak, then back home. Not too bad. And i've been up for almost 24 hours. D:

No comments: