Friday, February 01, 2008

i don't do atas parties, thanks.

Hahah. No la I don't mean to sound all bitchy. Just got back from the Red Bull mass bbq party thing at Dempsey, and as much as the food was good, the slanging Singaporeans just make me go eeegh.

Maybe they grew up in Australia or what, I don't know. But there was quite a number of them with really icky accents.

Had an interesting Red Bull cocktail - it had strawberry puree and vodka I think. Tasted a little bit like cough mixture with too much RB, but tastes mostly like jam. That's all I had, and it gave me a headache. I just recovered from a hangover the night before and it didn't quite settle very well.

Couple of nights ago though, was gallivanting around ECP to find a nice place to sit and drink with a friend. Right at the very end of it was a part of the beach hidden by trees, but still had space on the shore to sit. It was like nowhere on the beach i've ever been to before at night, considering I go there pretty often. Was good we had a car to get there, it'd take years to walk to that spot.

So at 2am we settled down to the ulu-ness of the place under the mooonlight. I know it sounds so overly romantic, but all we did was play 5-10 and drink Chivas.

Weird thing is, I had that strange memory lapse I had the week before. Totally no recollection of what happened in the hour that followed the drinking game. Yes, I was drunk, but even then I would at least be aware of what was going on, or would even have the slightest inkling of what happened roughly. Last thing I remember is puking, and next thing I know i've woken up at 9am out of discomfort because my bed was covered in sand.

What.

I don't know either man. I think I fell. Because I have a nasty bruise on my chin too. Hmm.

I detest hangovers. I met Maya for shisha at Arab St and the war raging in my tummy made me so sedate I could hardly be half as chatty as I normally would be.

I have 15 mins till the OC on Star World.

I've been busying myself - started my vet attachment, and now I'm giving tuition too! Tutoring this sec 5 girl in E Math and Phys/Chem. Luckily for me her Physics is alright so I can focus on Chem with her, but she's got a lot of difficulty grasping even the basics. Coz well, she doesn't quite pay attention. I'm not the teaching sort, but these subjects are pretty straightforward to ace.

The attachment's been bledy fun. Cat lovers stop reading here.

I've witnessed a handful of cat abortions already in the past few days of my attachment, even one on the first day I started. After awhile, such things became kinda routine, coz it happens THAT often. And people send in pregnant cats to undergo abortions regardless of how far along the cat is. So far i've only examined one aborted cat fetus, it had no hair and resembled a hamster. It was still breathing! Mr Mohan (the dude who brought the cat in, who also is one of the guys in charge of the Animal Lovers League in Pasir Ris) felt horrible coz fetuses usually die pretty quick once the blood circulation in the uterus has been cut off.

Oh yes, animals have their uteruses removed once sterilized. I had no idea. The things i've learnt in 4 days! Wah.

As the doc does his thing, I get to stand there and watch. Watch the abdomen being cut open, the uterus being taken out - with or without fetuses to be aborted. I have yet to do anything hands-on during surgery except having given one injection. It's mostly observation at this point because I am still very very very new to clinical practice.

Watching animals being sedated and having sedation reversed makes me anxious because the animal could just leap off the operating table in a split second before you realise it.

I've gotten a nice collection of scratches, but it's all in a day's work. I don't mind it at all, cleaning poop and everything. I've actually gotten accustomed to the smell now.

Haven't seen any euthanized animals yet, but a Chauchau with a slip disc that was around on my first and second days was put down because... the owners just didn't want him back. When Boof came in (I christened him the name Boof because his fur is like a boof), he smelt pretty bad, and his eyes were crusty. But he was adorable and had personality. I know it's bad to have an emotional attachment to animals because the possibility of them dying is always there.

2 cats died on Tuesday.

The doc said that some animals don't even wake up from sedation sometimes after something as simple as sterilization. It's completely out of his control though, which makes it all the more sad.

Will update more soon. The OC's on now! :D

No comments: