Tuesday, April 09, 2013

going green

I don't know how many people out there have thought about changing certain aspects of their lives to go green. In the process of my education I have discovered 1) I will probably never come close to the financial success that people have always associated with the veterinary profession, and 2) I will probably be living like a miser. And it's also in this process I've realised that while financial prosperity would be something I'm sure nobody has any qualms about having, I don't necessarily want it.

A general practitioner during our rotations told us something that has been resounding in my head for the last couple of months. The fact that yes, we will not be big pimpin' and living the high life like our human medical counterparts (dentists?) but why live these excessively consumer driven lives? The earth can't sustain it, FACT.

There's a difference between being rich and flaunting it and living a flambunctious (I just made up a new word there) lifestyle, and having a good amount of money and living a comfortable life. And in my case, probably not having much at all and still feeling pretty happy about it. When I think of my future, I think of a space that isn't bigger than it has to be, filled with vintage treasures and giving things a new lease on life. My housemate does this pretty well and at most times my laziness gets the better of me (but I blame being an unmotivated student). I am never going to buy another brand new book. It's e-books and 2nd hand books for me now. Prior to tablets, I think I've bludgeoned through a forest worth of paper printing notes and buying textbooks.

I look forward to the day I buy a car that's better for the environment, install solar panels, use rainwater, and ultimately grow my own food. I don't know about vegetables though, but I know enough to run a small rag-tag group of animals and give them the best life. Who knows, maybe I'll grow to love them so much that I will never bring myself to eat them (oh god the thought of being vegetarian is making my brain feel a little hazy).

So at the moment I know I have a few things to work on. I know my showers are just a bit long and I keep my computer on sleep mode far too much. But I don't accelerate excessively and I sort out as much recycling as I can from all my garbage. I used to have green bags so I've just made a mental note that I need to start that again. Every dog I get in the future will be adopted.

Maybe my kids too.

No comments: